Frequently Asked Questions
The answer you need may only be a click away...
Please browse through our FAQ's to find answers to any of your questions relating to our services & treatments, if you can't find the answer to your specific question, please feel free to contact us for further information..
- 1. Do I need a referral to see a physiotherapist?
A GP referral to see a physiotherapist is only necessary if:
- You are a returned service veteran seeking treatment under a GOLD or WHITE card.
- You are seeking treatment under a work cover or third party insurance claim.
- Your doctor has recommended treatment as part of a complex health care management program or an Enhanced Primary Care Program.
- 2. Is physiotherapy covered by Medicare?
A: Patients are able to claim back a rebate for their physiotherapy consultation ONLY if their GP has enrolled them in an Enhanced Primary Care Program & has registered their details with Medicare.
- 3. How do I claim with my health fund?
A: You are able to claim our services if you have extras cover that includes physiotherapy. We have HICAPS facilities. Please bring your health fund card with you to your appointment & we can claim on your behalf by simply swiping your card through the terminal. You will only need to pay the remaining gap. This will depend on the level of cover you have & may vary between health funds. You may need to check with your individual private health fund if you want to find out the exact amount they cover.
- 4. What should I expect on my first Physiotherapy consultation?
A: Your physiotherapist will complete a thorough subjective and physical examination as well as provide you with an accurate diagnosis of your injury. An appropriate treatment plan will be explained to you. You will also be treated in your first session. Your physiotherapist will advise if you need ongoing treatment & your progress will be assessed on a regular basis to ensure you are receiving the appropriate intervention.
- 5. What should I bring to my appointment?
Please remember to bring any recent xrays or scans you may have that relate to your complaint. If you have been recommended to us by another health professional, any paperwork or letters from the referring practitioner will help with your consultation.
Ideally you should wear clothing you are comfortable in & that will allow our practitioners to easily assess the area to be treated or that can be easily removed.
- 6. Do I need an x-ray or another scan before I start my physiotherapy treatment?
A: No. Your physiotherapist will assess you and send you for a scan if they feel it is appropriate in the management of your injury.
- 7. Can I see a physiotherapist if I am seeing a chiropractor or osteopath?
A: Yes. Physiotherapists communicate with your other treating practitioners to ensure you are receiving the best possible care.
- 8. What about if I can't make a physiotherapy appointment during normal business hours?
Essendon Physio Group offer flexible after hours as well as Saturday hours by appointment to fit in with your busy lifestyle.
Simply fill in the webform and one of our staff will be in touch to confirm your appointment.
- 9. Should I book in for physiotherapy the day I hurt myself or if I am in a lot of pain?
Yes. The injuries need to be managed correctly from the start. The first few days following injury are the most crucial in determining the severity of the injury and the recovery time.
Contact us to make an appointment if you have injured yourself.
- 10. Should I expect to experience pain after my treatment?
A: You may experience some discomfort in the first few days following treatment. Your physiotherapist will brief you about this and advise you of strategies to minimise and manage this.
- 11. When will I be able to return to my pre-injury activity?
A: Your physiotherapist will discuss this with you and liaise with your work place, doctor or coach if required.
- 12. Will it hurt?
A: Many patients are surprised at the lack of discomfort or pain involved in general treatment. Our practitioners employ non invasive techniques to afford you the up-most comfort & minimise pain.